Tuesday, May 25, 2010

ACAD for Mac

If you've heard the rumors over the past year, it looks like they are now verified and true. There is an iPhone 4 and Autodesk is now making AutoCAD for a Mac. Check it out here.

So, I have to say, when I first heard about the transition, I was all like WHOO HOO!! THAT IS SO FREAKIN' AWESOME!!

Well, then I got to thinking. And reading the reviews. And what I've read so far says it kinda sucks, it's a bit slow and unresponsive and it only comes in 64 bit (they got one thing right).

Then I really started thinking and I was like what? (insert valley girl speak here) like O.M.G. Like they did this for Mac? ACAD? Why not something innovative??? Hello, Revit?
Isn't this the same company that keeps promoting the h*ll out of BIM, how that's the future of design and then for Mac they roll out a product from the 1980's? Really?


Update: Before I receive any more threats about ADSK legal: No, I'm not a beta tester for ACAD for Mac nor do I have any notion, information, or whereabouts regarding what might or might not be a product beyond what I've seen on Mac-based blogs and what the guy in the box above told me.

And for the record, all of the Mac people I know are design professionals and creative types haven't designed out of CAD in over a decade. They've moved on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christ give them a chance. Of course it's going to be slow, it's taking a platform that has been MS centric for so many years and moving to OSX. Not to mention all the nastiness moving from DirectX to OpenGL.

And the reason that started with AutoCAD is because they're porting a platform, others will follow if it is successful.

Given the installed base of AutoCAD it provides them with the best opportunity for a ROI. If it fails, they'll minimise their loses.

Guy

ixxx69 said...

I think Eddy's last comment about Mac users is key (I made a similar comment over at AUGI before the thread was deleted)... it's as though Autodesk is setting itself up for failure by picking the one product least likely to be used by Mac users.

At this point in time, most firms still primarily on AutoCAD are not the kind of firms that would otherwise buy Macs... and those firms already on Macs are not the kind of firms that would now switch to AutoCAD. The more I think about this, the less sense AutoCAD on Mac makes... anyone want to play devil's advocate?

J. Adam Thomas said...

Yeah I have been digging into this whole ACAD for mac stuff and the more I think about it the more I realize that ACAD in a couple of years will be worthless and if it takes another year or so to finish building and testing ACAD for mac the user base will be gone. Why is it that Autodesk alot of the time refuses to listen to their users? Apple is the company it is today because it takes a product the user needs now then completely surpasses that margin not just meet the criteria.

ACAD for an Apple user is like Pong for the PS3 everyone thinks it will be cool at first but after the first day who cares. I can name about 400 students right now in one school that say I you are developing for the mac, develop the program that is changing history for designers, Revit! Otherwise its kind of taking two steps back instead of a step forward.