Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Love Sketching?

Every BIM-guru I know starts by sketching rather than staring at a computer screen. Perhaps there something immediate and emotively satisfying about a sketchbook and pencil that is difficult to recreate. Even when faced with a bunch of parametric rules, it's wonderful to figure out a question with a pencil before you propose an answer with a bunch of reference points, lines and planes (and the odd paramatized void is still pretty useful, Mr. Jezyk). ;)

I'm not saying that I don't lovelovelove the fantastic Wacom display that I've been using in preparation for the next Mastering Revit book. It more a matter of portability.

So there's this. And I'm blown away:

Congrats Wacom for continuing to think outside of the box. While so many other companies are trying to ape the iPad, you guys come along and do something really original. Yes - there are other paper/pen input devices. But the addition of layers (!) and vectors (!) are going to allow designers far more flexibility than just capturing rough data - like being able to scale up a drawing with no loss in like quality.

And from the overview it looks to be Mac and PC compatible.

The bad news? Eddy's birthday has already passed for the year…so close!

3 comments:

Christopher Hubbard said...

Phil,

This looks pretty cool. I have an Intious that i used to use with all my applications. However I had to move it to my VM along with Adobe because the Wacom driver conflicts with Revit and causes crashes.
I hope this uses a different driver/interface that will allow it back on my main machine.
Have you heard if it will have handwriting recognition? My wife has a bamboo she uses and lugs it to meetings with her laptop. this could be a good christmas present for her.

I may wait for you to be the Guinea pig on this. Let me know if you have any further review.

Phil Read said...

Hi Chris -
Thanks for the feedback!
I'm using both Intous and Cintique with OSX and having no problems. I use the both tablets on the OSX side with with Photoshop and SketchBookPro. I use the Cintique on the Windows side (Vista64) with Revit.
Handwriting recognition with both tablets is real-time on both OSX and Windows. It's is part of the OS. However, I don't know if there's recognition with this particular device (and it wouldn't be real-time, which is be another issue).
I don't have any problem with crashing. I'm running Parallels for the VM.
-Phil

Christopher Hubbard said...

The Wacom driver vs. Revit is a documented problem. However i understand not all windows PC's have the issue. I do. Not sure if this is an ADESK or Wacom issue, but to get Revit working we had to disable and remvove the driver. Now have it on Parallels as well for ADOBE apps etc.