Friday, August 5, 2011

Creating Elliptical Walls In Revit

Here's one way to get around making a series of walls in Revit that come Pretty Darn Close (TM) to being elliptical. But first, you need to take a moment and watch David Light's version:



What's deceptive about this (for those of you that don't know David) is that David has a foreign accent. This gives him a voice of certainty and moral authority that is unquestionable. I (on the other hand) have no such advantage. My accent is an annoying twang that starts in New Jersey and finishes in Charlotte, NC. And I talk to fast when I get excited.

That being said, I think I've figured out this solution. But rather than subject (get it..."subject"...as in British subject...as in USA=1, Britain=0...oh never mind) you to my voice, I've added a sound track courtesy of the FLAT TIRES:



And if this solution is to the satisfaction of the Revit community, David has agreed in to buy me a beer!

Let the voting begin!

8 comments:

LiucciGrafix said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LiucciGrafix said...

I had to test it first ; -) What's wrong with an elliptical mass and wall by face?

Phil Read said...

Hi Roger! Nothing is wrong with the other process. Well, at least until you try to dimension the arc radii and segment lengths to lay it out.
Now you owe me a beer too! ;)

Brok Howard said...

Or stop using elliptical walls....period, nice work around.

Unknown said...

Here is my take on it:
What Revit Wants: Turn an ellipse into arcs for use in Revit

The CAD Setter Out said...

It's been good fun reading this post and the various reactions to it, but you all missed out one method - Let the contractor deal with it ;)

I put this post together on converting ellipses to regular arcs:
http://cadsetterout.com/autocad-tutorials/converting-ellipses-to-arcs/

Seriously though - Kudos to you guys for making the effort to make sure that you geometry is suitable for downstream manufacture.

Paul

Max.3dmodels said...

http://max-3dmodels-free.blogspot.com/

revit learning

Unknown said...

This post is really valuable that designed for the new visitors. Pleasing work, keep on writing.Best Exercise Bike