Friday, August 12, 2011

Friday Reprieve #34

Yellow pages pile

It's been a while. Been busy. Sorry. But have to share this short story. I think it says something about technology and the power of accurate information. I have a much longer thought on data integrity, but i'll save that one for later. In the meantime....

There was a knock on my door. My 15 year old daughter answered it and came back into the kitchen carrying a yellow bag.


D(aughter): Some guy gave me this bag. It has a yellow book in it. What is this?

Me: It's the Yellow Pages. We get those every year.

D: What's the Yellow pages? (remember, she's 15).

Me: It's what you're holding. Seriously. It's the Yellow Pages.

D: Seriously. what are the yellow pages?

Me: Ok, it's a book of all the local businesses and phone numbers. It's how we used to find a pizza delivery place or a restaurant or any other service. They give you one every year.

D: So, like google?

Me: Yes, like google. Open it up and look at it.

The first entry she flips to - and I'm not joking - is one called: Party and Clow Supplies. and has the number listed.

D: Dad, what is Clow? Is that something you do at parties? Like a verb? Do people Clow?

Me: I think it was supposed to be Clown supplies.

D: So, this is wrong and it's going to be wrong for a year and everyone looking for Party and Clown supplies will see this instead?

Me: Yes.

D: This thing sucks. Can I recycle it and just use Google?

1 comment: