Thursday, December 16, 2010

About Me


A new web site about.me is poking its head out of the ground. The UI is very elegant and I can imagine this taking off pretty quickly. I've already registered for myself (and each of my kids). Many of the posted profiles are a little too "Glamor Shots + Internet" from the look of things but don't let this distract you. I think there's a lot of potential.

Where's the value? You're able to track your recent and historical profile views and statistics as well as understand your "reach" based on Twitter, Linkedin, etc. There are also some tools to help you promote and extend that reach as well. As an option, you can allow people to contact you via email. But while their return address will be shown to you, your email address is hidden from them. Very nice feature.
  • Not Facebook.
  • Not Twitter.
  • Not Linkedin.
  • Not Blogger.
Overall, a really great website to gather all of your pointers and links in one place. Like having your own personal splash page.

about.me/philread

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I've had mine up for a while also. I think its the future of business cards. http://about.me/troygates

RobiNZ said...

So they get all your social network data but what do you get?

I can see it's a nice personal dashboard but wonder how you (or viewers) use it beyond that?

John Mulholland said...

Thanks for the tip...

http://about.me/edit/johnmulhollandjr