Thursday, August 6, 2009

You Chose....Wisely.

We have 6 active computers in our house which go back about 5 years (purchasing just over one new computer per year on average). The oldest gets a clean install and is given to a well-deserving student. We presently have 2 Macbooks, 1 Powerbook, 2 iMacs and a Mac Mini (which is the house DVR). It's all networked through a wireless router that is also a 1GB Apple Time Machine (that also serves as a whole house network backup). They all run OS X. They're all wirelessly connected to a printer and each other. Trouble shooting the network and all computers largely (99.99%) consists of:

1) Making sure someone hasn't turned off the light switch that sends power to the house printer and a second wireless router (so I can work/browse/skype/blog/twit from the front porch)
2) Resetting the power to the cable modem.

There is absolutely no other computer/network/backup hassles. Stuff works.

But I run Windows as well. XP 32 via virtualization (both VMWare and Parallels) as well as Vista 64 Ultimate via Bootcamp.

In a few months, I'll be installing the latest versions of both Windows and OSX.

On the Apple side of things, I'll do the following:



If you run a business - you'll do the same thing. The one magic DVD will upgrade all of your late model (Intel based) computers. Workstations, iBooks, iMacs, Powerbooks. One friggin' DVD. I don't expect to "clean" install the OS or user files. I expect everything will upgrade and once I get past the first screen I'll be done. I'll be free to do other stuff. Nor do I expect to have to reinstall any applications.

On the Windows side of things, I'm going to have to cypher the following wall chart (click for full size):


If you run a business - you'll do the same thing.
  • Windows Premium, Professional and Ultimate.
  • 32 and 64 bit flavors.
  • Maybe upgrade, maybe "custom" install.
FYI - "custom" install is just Microsoft's kinder, gentler way of saying "clean" install. ;)

I'm not a Mac fanboy. I'm a spend-time-with-the-family-have-a-beer-with-some-friends-do something-interesting-not-on-the-computer fanboy.

I'll run Windows because what I really want to do is get to a few applications which depend on a particular operating system. I run Windows because I have to...as an exception...to a rule. What's really interesting is that I run far more computers (personally) in OS X because I enjoy to....want to...prefer to...be able to do other stuff.

Does running a Mac environment cost a bit more? Well maybe. For example, the latest iMac we bought cost $1500. Yet a similarly configured Dell is around $1300 (the base price nearly doubles after you've configured it). So the iMac is 15% more. And that means spreading an extra $200 over three years is about another $0.20 per day per computer. So maybe an extra $1 or so for everything? However, similarly configured laptops are more expensive with Dell - about $300 (10% more) for a configuration close to the 17" MacBook Pro). What does this mean? Well, we're pretty balanced between desktops and laptops - so it's probably about even.

End of the day - it's probably less about the money saved than the time saved. For the future? I wouldn't be surprised if Apple continues to flourish if they stay focused on stability, elegant design and usability - and only exposing complexity when it needs to be seen. What's the difference? Configure a computer at Apple's website (www.apple.com). Then go Dell's website (www.dell.com) and do the same thing. You'll get the idea. :)

End of the day - people just want to get to their stuff. And with that stuff becoming more and more accessible via web browsers and across multiple platforms, I think Microsoft faces an interesting business future. I have one computer for work - but more than that at home. And while having six computers in a single house might not be that common - it's certainly pretty common for households to have more than one (families upgrade and keep the old one...). So I'd propose that personal computing didn't really take off with the personal computer. It only got interesting with the ability to connect them together and do something else via the internet. And if personal computing is really only fifteen years old (1995) then in terms of a horse race, neither Apple or Microsoft has even turned the first corner of the track.

Experienced thoughts / comments welcome.

5 comments:

A.Friend said...

Great write-up. Now, if only Autodesk would release Revit to the OS X-platform, You'd be all set...

antman said...

Great perspective Phil. I'd really like to go Mac. In fact, my wife is resuming her college career in a few weeks, so we were looking at MacBook Pro last night.

I know this goes contrary to your post, but the Dell laptops are less expensive than the Mac. Here are the differences (Core 2 Duo @ 2.1 for both):
Macbook Pro - $1099 (after student discount)
2GB RAM
13" Screen
160GB HD
Dell - $849
4GB RAM
15" Screen
500 GB HD

Still, if we could get the financing, she'd rather have the Mac. .-)

David Haynes said...

Phil,

Having both (Windows and MAC), I agree in 'general' with your comments.

I want to note that MAC is not without its problems, hassles, crashes, etc. Please review the Apple user groups for examples.

For an experienced computer owner (not user, where the IT dept. takes care of everything), MAC is better (no new news there). For the guy/gal that wants to hit the start button and everything is handled (including bad computer usage behavior, bad technique, bad maintenance), MAC is not the "holy grail'.

David Haynes

John T said...

I'll make the decision process a little easier: Windows 7 Business 64 bit.

Ultimate if you really want bragging rights.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RC1 (release candidate) right now.

Zero problems (even with the crazy go-nuts memory usage of a project with 750 MB worth of interlinked Revit models)

Did I mention it's a quad core, 3.2 GHz machine with 8 GB of RAM and 1GB of dedicated GDDR3 video memory?

...and it cost me around 500 bucks Well, truth be told, it's hard to figure the cost, since I simply upgraded a 2 year old machine by picking up a new CPU & motherboard to the tune of 200 big ones.

Yeah, I guess it'd cost a couple more dollars if I decided to buy a case for it.

Oh, and the "it just works" line does have some merit, but since I'm writing this on computer that's pushing 12 days of up-time... I'm really not sure what doesn't work on a windows box running a pre-release of a new OS. Well, maybe that smart kid in all those apple commercials will tell me, because I'm the suit wearing pocket-protector sporting PC user who lacks any sort of style type of guys.

I digress.

Bottom line:

When you buy a mac, you're buying an pretty appliance. You can't really upgrade it (upgrade the motherboard and processor on a two year old mac, I dare you). For those of us who enjoy outdoor activities (sportbikes rock!) yet also enjoy having control over the finer points of our computers, a custom-built PC will make a pretty apple cry in the bang-for-the-buck game. I say "pretty" in the kindest possible way -- apple puts out some pretty good looking machines.. even if I do like "naked" look of a caseless machine, or the build quality of my Dell M6400 laptop more than the new mac book pro.. what's going on with the keyboard on the new MBPs BTW?

Okay, now I'm rambling.

Unknown said...

"It just works" that pretty much sums up what a mac does. I have a G3 ibook and a 2.4 duo Macbook in my posession and when compared to my room mates custom built 2000 dollar computer and his 2.4 duo Acer he is simply speechless that my computers (yes both, even the so called crappy G3 11 year old ibook) never have any trouble do anything. I have used both XP, Vista, and OS X and have an easier time running XP in Parallels on my macbook than 90 percent of the laptops I have bought or used that were not Apple products.

Simple fact of the matter is that I can do more work and be more productive on a computer that is "lower quality" and "a pretty appliance" in a PC Fanboys eyes and still have time to laugh a little at the none productive PC user and head home early.

Using an operating system that fully uses all of its cores and Ram while never having to restart to "fix" problems or defrag ram every other day is well worth the extra 200 bucks I pay everytime I by a new Apple computer.

I just checked the uptime on my computer and its a staggering 123 days, 12 hours, 23 min, and 33 sec. I dare a Windows user do that to their computer. Heres what happens after a month the Ram is not accessed completly then around 2 months the computer doesnt respond half the time (begging to be shut down) then before it gets to 3 months nothing seems to work anymore, even listen to music is a hassle. Been there, done that, gave that PC to a bum who turned to me and said "what do I do with this POS" I smiled and left.

Last thing...
Fanboys are people that idolize the object they are using without knowing anything about the product they have or are comparing their product to.

Therefore...
PC guys claiming that Mac guys with valid reasons why we chose Mac over PC and love that their machine works with them not against them are Fanboys are truely PC Fanboys themselves... Ironic

Try it before you knock it and when reality sets it trying it will lead you to buying it...