Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Dear Customer......You're wrong

In January I purchased a house that was in foreclosure and needed a ton of work. So much work that it wasn't safe to live in it while the work was being done. Complete gut and remodel. When the former owners left, the water valve at the street was never shut off properly causing (remember, it's January) the meter to leak several hundred gallons of water into my and my downhill neighbor's basement. I called the Water Company to refute the large bill stating that there were no pipes in my house to leak and the meter (which was leaking) was technically not my responsibility. They replaced the meter and had their Research Unit investigate a credit. This is now August. I finally received a letter from them that reads:

"We have reviewed your account for adjustments due to a burst pipe, and we find basis for adjustment at this time. Your water loss at the time of the leak did not did not exceed 1 1/2 times your normal usage."

3 things:
1. What does that letter even mean?? Those two sentences are contradictory.
2. Whatever happened to listening to your customers?
3. If I have had no pipes in my house at that time then 1 1/2 x zero should equal zero for water usage.

Synopsis: Drunken leprechauns have moved beyond the toolshed and into Water Utilities.

No comments: