Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Time Warner Turing Test


After constant starts and stops while trying to watch a movie via Netflix Watch Now (over Time Warner Road Runner) I decided to contact support. Time Warner has "24/7 Live Support Chat".

However, from the first paragraph it seemed the phrasing of questions and answers seemed a bit too canned (and too rapidly delivered). I wasn't sure if I was even talking to a real support person. So I tried a quickly considered Turing Test. Result? I'm still not sure...

[10:27:36 PM] Benjamin Smith > Thank you for contacting Time Warner Cable. At the end of our chat you will be given the option of taking a brief survey. My name is Benjamin. Please give me a moment while I access your account.
[10:27:46 PM] Benjamin Smith > Could you please elaborate on the issue?
[10:28:11 PM] Phil > very slow internet connectivity in the range of 200-300kbps.
[10:28:26 PM] Benjamin Smith > You are experiencing slow browsing issue. Am I correct?
[10:28:28 PM] Phil > is this a computer?
[10:28:48 PM] Benjamin Smith > No, I am a real person.
[10:28:50 PM] Phil > no - not slow browsing - slow connectivity.
[10:28:57 PM] Benjamin Smith > I apologize for the inconvenience.
[10:28:58 PM] Benjamin Smith > I will guide you to the right support.
[10:28:59 PM] Benjamin Smith > It seems that this issue needs to be escalated to National Road Runner support. We will transfer you to that support group. Do you have any further questions before I transfer you?
[10:29:39 PM] Phil > yes - can you finish this phrase: "Peanut butter and (blank) sandwich"
[10:30:29 PM] Phil > I just want to know if this is a real person or an automated support response thingie.
[10:31:05 PM] Phil > and please transfer me to the National Road Runner support
[10:31:25 PM] Benjamin Smith > Peanut butter and (Cabbage) sandwich"
[10:31:28 PM] Benjamin Smith > Is it correct?
[10:31:56 PM] Phil > no - but you were close
[10:32:06 PM] Benjamin Smith > Oh, I see.
[10:32:16 PM] Benjamin Smith > May I know the correct answer?
[10:32:37 PM] Benjamin Smith > Actually I don't like sandwich a lot.
[10:33:04 PM] Phil > please transfer to National Support - thx
[10:33:11 PM] Benjamin Smith > You are welcome.
[10:33:15 PM] Benjamin Smith > Again, my name is Benjamin. Thank you for chatting with Time Warner Cable. We value you as a customer and are here to assist you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you would like to take a brief survey, please click on “done” and the survey will load. Have a great day!


Update. I think dial up is faster!

5 comments:

Christopher Zoog said...

cabbage!?! seriously? hahahaha!

Mark in Uptown said...

Still... what a smart computer program - kinda scary.

I *like* peanut butter and cabbage sandwiches!

Scott D Davis said...

and it took "benjamin" nearly 2 minutes to come up with cabbage?

Colin Stanley said...

that's great! I'm surprised you haven't heard of the peanut butter and cabbage sandwich... roughage!

Eddy Krygiel said...

maybe your problem here is a cultural one. maybe Ben is overseas and he really digs cabbage sandwiches with his peanut butter and the rest of it is all scripted....