Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Congrats!! On....something......



honestly, I think this image says it all. I spent the last two years, almost to the day chasing this dream and I've finally achieved it and I feel somehow empty. My home is officially LEED Silver. First house in Kansas City, MO at 1236 sq ft. I received this illustrious award in the form of an email which also notified me that for an additional fee, I could purchase a lexan plaque to commemorate the event. Know anything about lexan? It's a petroleum product. Kinda defeats the purpose. Would I recommend it to a client? No way. Not unless it was something they felt strongly in getting. Would I still design sustainably? Absolutely. It's about making smart decisions, it's not about the USGBC.

But if your glass is 1/2 full, my home uses 1/2 the energy of a regular Missouri home, 1/2 the water, has flooring that dates to 1890, and, well, it's home.



4 comments:

ChibiKage89 said...

Congrats, I guess.

Phil Read said...

Your home actually uses 2X the energy and water of a Missouri home, since on average only half the homes are wired or contain plumbing. Or is that Kansas?

Eddy Krygiel said...

you know, you'd be surprised how much energy it takes to run a meth lab. wind power really doesn't cut it.

Unknown said...

These comments are just way to funny. I have to say congrat's but it does make me wonder. If you build a house out of pallets and heat it by propane could you be leed certified? I typically call that broke! Not saying that that's your place or nothing. :)