Friday, September 3, 2010

Blue Sky



I took this photo on the last day I worked for Autodesk back in May of 2008. After more than 7 amazing years of playing for the same team, I found myself flying back to Charlotte and quite honestly - more than a bit anxious about what the future would hold. But what suddenly occurred and caused me to snap the above photo (with my jail broken and unlocked, T-Mobile powered iPhone, ahem...) is that above any clouds of uncertainty, there are always clear blue skies of opportunity.

Simply put: the view is always clearer above the clouds.

So it seems fitting that I use this image to announce that I'm moving on from HNTB. It's certainly bittersweet. Yet those that have come to know me best wisely reminded me long ago that I'm too impatient and non-conforming to be a corporate lifer. Thank you. I bow to your Buddha nature. :)

It's been an amazing, learning and deeply satisfying experience. In little more than 2 years a firm wide BIM strategy and team is in place that in my opinion is the most advanced and experienced group I've ever known. Their commitment to Design Build in every way exceeds my expectations of what is possible when a design firm partners with select contractors to build buildings rather than simply create drawings.

Rather than be content to see what the market will decide, HNTB leads the market. Their vision and commitment to creating compelling and new technologies in order to leverage BIM is extraordinary. As a result, what we did in days takes others weeks if not months. And what we did in months I believe will take others years - by which time HNTB will have moved on. The incredible value this brings to a Design Build is light-years ahead of any competition. The leadership is sharply minded and focused. And as far as I could tell only one or two were merely sharply elbowed and dressed. :)

I wish I could tell you what's next but I honestly don't know! I've already had some interesting and unsolicited phone calls. Seems the whisper of the Internet is like the roar of a lion. But I've been fortunate to the point that I don't have to commit to anything for a while. At the same time, I'm incredibly blessed that some pretty interesting people have already offered to fly me somewhere for a few days to compare notes. So that's cool.

What's interesting?

Domesticity. Apple. Strategic, holistic and elegant solutions. Integrating Design (BIM) / Build (Manufacturing) / Management (FM). Connecting dots and being a change agent. Finishing my pilot's license. Completing an addition to the house. Helping author another book or two, including Mastering Revit 2012. The Annapolis boat show. Sailing with the family. Drinks with friends. Autodesk University. Twitter. Blogging.

Could I be interested in a Revit project or two? Possibly. But only if it's extremely interesting (Apple Stores...cough...Revit... cough...Design Build...cough ;). Or along the lines of an unimaginably large, complex, project and more than likely somewhere in Australiasia. And Singapore is always a plus!

So if you know of something really, really interesting - let me know. But only if it's surrounded by sharper minds than elbows. :)

What's next?

Blue sky. Or perhaps it's more of a Blue Ocean ;)

8 comments:

Jim Balding said...

Very nicely put Mr. Read. I have to say I know how you feel and I concur with all of what you said. Good luck. See you next week!!! Looks like the beer is on Stafford and Wesley!!!

Phil Read said...

Thanks Jimbo! My wife has already started cutting back. Domestic beer during the week and imported on the weekends!
But seriously, I regularly get calls from headhunters asking if I know sharp guys for placement. And I've pointed some really sharp people to some very interesting firms.
So if anyone is looking for a new gig call me and let's chat. Tell me what you've done and what you're really interested in doing.
And if you're running a business and looking for some really smart BIM leaders - please call. I'd be glad to point the right person (or people) in your direction!

Unknown said...

Phil I am going to miss your above the clouds thinking that you brought to our team. I really enjoyed working with you the last two years and having team breakfast to talk about life, work, south park and apple related news. This past Thursday I finished what you motivated me to complete and that was my bachelors degree at MNU. I really appreciated the way you allowed me to focus not only on my job, but also making sure that I put my family and school work first. We shall meet again in the future for a beer and to catch up.

Take care,
Austin Reed

Dave Willard said...

Those blue skies were nowhere to be found here at HNTB, the day you left HNTB Phil. Dark clouds moved in, rain came down, and the windshield wipers were on high for many of us here...if you know what I mean. We'll miss your leadership, your relentless drive to find bigger and better things, but most of all...your companionship. Take care good friend and best of luck flying those friendly blue skies once gain!

Blue Jay said...

Congratulations! You're always ahead of the curve. First it was Revit, then the IPad and now that global warming is here in earnest, taking to the seas.

Seriously, keep up the inspirational work!

Anonymous said...

It was very nice to meet you at the SketchUp Basecamp. As I said before, your comments in the BIM workshop reinforced my confidence in what I do every day. I'm a bit discouraged about having to go through the process of rebuilding my models for the sake of constructability, but I will try to find the value in it.

Please send me your document about going from SketchUp to Revit. I will read it with interest and share with my CAD manager and principals.

Also FYI about the former owner of the Dwell Home- Nathan Wieler is settling into life in Sacramento. Here are his websites: www.wieler.com and www.originalprojects.com.

Shaking Shenoy said...

Hi Phil
I was not aware of this! Just found out today. I am really, truly bummed out! We had the chance to meet a few times but not really work together on something concrete. I really hope that opportunity arises someday. Thank you very much for helping with all those queries, always picking up the phone and generally being a super awesome mentor and a good friend. I wish you good luck and renewed success in all your future endeavors.

Gautam

Shaking Shenoy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.